|The sequential focus order of links, form controls, embedded apps and widgets must be meaningful.
- The "tab" key is the primary key many browsers use to navigate the interactive elements on a web page.
- The sequential order of the elements receiving focus can help a user understand the features on a web page.
- The usability of frequently used or important interactive features of a web page can be improved by moving them to the beginning of the focus sequence.
|WCAG Success Criteria
2.4.3 Focus Order (Level A, Primary Success Criterion)
select elements and elements with widget roles with
- Use document order to place related interactive items in a meaningful sequence.
tabindex atttribute value (i.e. values greater than 0) can be used to change the sequence of focusable elements in a web page or make non-interactive elements part of the "tab" order of the page.
tabindex values of less than 0 remove redundent interactive elements from the sequential focus order.
- Use the "tab" key to move focus through the links, form controls, embedded applications and widgets on the page.
- Does the sequence of elements receiving focus make sense (i.e. related items on the page are navigated sequentially as a group).