|Heading elements must be properly nested on the page.
- Heading elements that are properly nested help users of assistive technologies understand the structure of the information on the web page.
HTML4 Legacy Techniques
HTML5 and ARIA Techniques
|WCAG Success Criteria
1.3.1 Info and Relationships (Level A, Primary Success Criterion)
- Include headings elements at the proper level for each section of a web page.
- Use headings as labels for ARIA landmarks to provide a redundant way for users of assistive technologies to navigate the page (i.e. header or landmark navigation).
- Check headings against other headings in the document to make sure they uniquely describe the content of each section of the web page.
- If headings are too similar to each other, users of assistive technologies will not be able to use them to understand the differences between sections of the web page.