|The accessible name of a data table % be different from its accessible description.
- Accessible name and description are designed to provide two different types of information to users of assistive technologies and therefore should not duplicate each other.
- Accessible name is designed to provide a short title to identify the data table, so when users of assistive technology are using table navigation commands they can identify the table.
- Accessible description is designed to provide a longer summary of the table, this could include author intended conclusions of the data.
HTML5 and ARIA Techniques
|WCAG Success Criteria
1.3.1 Info and Relationships (Level A, Primary Success Criterion)
Data tables with both an accessible name and accessible description
- Accessible name is typically defined using the
caption element, but the
aria-labelledby attribute can also be used.
- Accessible description is typically defined using the
summary attribute, but the
aria-describedby attribute can also be used.
- The accessible name is defined before the accessible description, so if using the
title attribute for the accessible name will require a different technique to add an accessible description.
- Verify the accessible name clearly identifies the table.
- Verify the summary accurately summarizes the table.