|Role must have a required parent role using the HTML DOM structure or the
- ARIA roles, properties and states describes the features of interactive widgets to users of assistive technologies, especially screen reader users.
- Roles that are associated with container widgets have important parent/child relationships with other roles.
- Parent/child relationships are used by assistive technologies for computing the number of items owned by a container and the position of an item (e.g. "third of five links").
- Container roles are also used by assistive technologies to provide enhanced navigation features for moving between items in lists, tables, grids and treegrids.
HTML4 Legacy Techniques
HTML5 and ARIA Techniques
|WCAG Success Criteria
4.1.2 Name, Role, Value (Level A, Primary Success Criterion)
Role with required parent role
- Parent roles can be defined using the HTML DOM structure or the
- Required parent role is a DOM ancestor of the element.
- Required parent role references the element using the
- NOTE: HTML DOM parent/child relationships for defining relationships is preferred over the use of
aria-owns attribute, since it is less likely to result in authoring errors associated with creating and referencing elements with unique