|Elements must be owned by only one widget.
- ARIA container elements have require child elements.
- When the HTML DOM parent/child relationships do not identify the child elements the
aria-owns attribute can be used to reference the child elements.
- A child element can only be referenced using
aria-owns by one container element.
HTML4 Legacy Techniques
HTML5 and ARIA Techniques
|WCAG Success Criteria
4.1.2 Name, Role, Value (Level A, Primary Success Criterion)
Widgets with required parent roles
- Container elements using
aria-owns attribute must accurately reference the associated child elements.
- A child element can only be referenced by one container element using the
- Update the application to use the DOM parent/child relationships instead of using
- NOTE: HTML DOM parent/child relationships for defining relationships is preferred over the use of
aria-owns attribute, since it is less likely to result in authoring errors associated with creating and referencing elements with unique